Foundation / Corporation
Awards of up to $5,000 and in-kind donations to USA and international high school, college, and graduate school students who participate in an environmental stewardship program. This program takes place over the course of thirty days, during which students will receive environmentally-themed challenges each day.
The Challenge aims to empower and mobilize youth to take action, inspiring them to transition their daily lives from conventional to conscious and understand the significance of each choice they make every day. The ultimate goal is to help students develop their mentorship, advocacy, and leadership skills as they relate to environmental stewardship.
How the Challenge Works:
Each day throughout the month of October, a uniquely themed challenge will be delivered to registered PGC participants by email at 6 am Pacific Time. There are four different Challenge Task options each day – green, greener, greenest, and extra credit. The specific actions required for each Challenge Task will be explained on the PGC Website. Each participant must start with the green challenge and complete the levels in order. Green must be completed before greener; greener before greenest; greenest before extra credit.
Each challenge will be live for 24 hours, inviting participants to complete actions and upload deliverables* to acquire points and prizes. Participants must complete challenge tasks during that timeframe unless otherwise noted. (Some Challenges are two-day challenges and will allow 48 hours to complete. Some Extra Credit Challenges will have longer response periods).
*Please Note: Challenge participants are asked to share photos, videos, and text on the site, as well as across TG social platforms; Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube.
Challenge submissions will be judged by TG staff and points awarded based on creativity, content accuracy, and relevance to the theme of the day. Bonus points may be awarded for outstanding work at TGʼs discretion. A total of twenty prizes will be awarded daily based on the points awarded.
The points are one of three components to be considered in the selection of Challenge finalists once the Challenge is completed on October 30. Up to 16 Challenge participants will be selected (based on the criteria below) and invited to apply for the finals, with applications due November 2, 2017.
The application criteria for the selection of up to 16 Challenge finalists includes: total cumulative points from the 30-day challenge (October 1 – October 30), completion of a final exam developed by PGC Staff and released on October 30, and a 5 minute video recorded by each applicant highlighting their PGC experience.
Up to 16 finalists from the Challenge participants will be selected to attend a four-day eco summit. At this 4-day, educational summit, the finalists will have a full eco makeover, the opportunity to interact with and learn from esteemed leaders, present experiences from the 30-day Challenge, and work to create platforms for social action. Past speakers have included: Annie Leonard, Executive Director, Greenpeace, Gavin Newsom, Lt. Governor of California, Rachel Berliner, Co-founder of Amy’s Kitchen, Jessica Shade, Director of Science Programs, The Organic Center, and many more.
GrantWatch ID#: 161059
Twenty prizes will be awarded daily throughout the month of October, based on thoughtfully curated content. After the 30-day Challenge, up to 16 finalists from the Challenge participants will be selected to attend a four-day eco summit. Note: Only one Finalist student will be selected from each school. Of the finalists, there will be one First Place winner and one Second Place winner.
First Place Prizes and Award:
- $5,000 PGC Green Award to support the PGC Champion in accomplishing a sustainability project or continued education
- Donation of one acre of land to the World Land Trust (WLT). The winner will receive a Certificate in their name for the contribution from the WLT
- Giant All-One Tube filled with a selection of Dr. Bronner’s products
- Selection of Klean Kanteen products and a unique PGC 2017 etched bottle
- $250 Gift Card to choose a selection of Everyone products
- Waste Free Kit filled with a selection of U-Konserve products in an insulated lunch tote
Second Place Prize winners and Finalists will both receive:
- Donation of Five Trees to to the World Land Trust (WLT) Plant a Tree Project. The Second Place Winner and the Finalists will each receive a Certificate in their name for the contribution to the Plant a Tree Project
In addition, the First Place and Second Place winners, and all Finalists will receive:
- PGC Deluxe Lifestyle Package (Includes a selection of organic, fair trade, non-GMO, and zero waste products generously donated by Acure, Annie’s, Clif Bar, Dr. Bronner’s, Everyone, Gaia Herbs, Guayaki, Klean Kanteen, Nutiva, Natracare, Numi Organic Tea, Patagonia, RW Garcia, UKonserve and other partners.)
The Challenge lasts 30 days, from October 1 to 30, 2017. If you are selected as a finalist, your Challenge Period ends on November 20, 2017.
Daily Prize Applicant Eligibility:
- Project Green Challenge (the “Challenge”) is open to anyone, but only students who are enrolled at a high school, college/university, or graduate school, or are home schooled at the high school level and are a resident of the United States are eligible to win daily prizes.
- Officers, directors, advisory board, interns, prior PGC Challenge finalists, or winners and employees of Turning Green (the “Sponsor”), or any other party associated with the development or administration of this Challenge, and their immediate family (i.e., parents, children, siblings, spouse), and persons residing in the same household, are not eligible to participate or win.
- If you are a minor, you must have your parentʼs or legal guardianʼs permission to participate in the Challenge.
- Only students enrolled in high school, college or university, or graduate school are eligible to be selected as a Challenge Finalist, and must be available to travel Nov. 15 – Nov. 20, 2017. Finalists from prior years and TG interns who wrote PGC challenges are not eligible to participate.
- Students must be 16 years old by November 1, 2017.
- Only one student will be selected as a Finalist from each school.
If you are participating as a team, please see the following rules:
– Each team can be no more than 4 people; there may be multiple teams from a particular school but an individual may only register for and participate on one team. An individual can compete on their own or as a team but not both. All participants must be registered.
– Any member of the team can upload deliverables each day under the team name.
– If the team wins a prize, the team leader would receive one prize for the team.
– If a team applies and is selected for the Challenge Finals at the end of October, only one person would represent the team at the Challenge Finals and the prize package would be awarded to that person.
Timeline and How to Participate:
- Beginning on January 1, 2017 at 6am Pacific Daylight Time, participants can register for Project Green Challenge 2017. Participants can sign up as an individual or a team but you cannot participate as both. If you are participating as a team, please see the specific team guidelines in the Additional Eligibility Criteria section above.
- The Challenge will begin on October 1 and end on October 30, 2017.
- Each day during the month of October, a new challenge theme will be posted at 6am PDT. Registered participants will receive an email with a link to the dayʼs challenge, and earn points and prizes based on creativity, content accuracy, and relevance to topic, as determined by the Challenge judges. Prizes for individuals or teams will be distributed proportionally based on number of eligible entries. Any potential winner (either an individual participant or a team leader) will be notified by email.
- Finalists: The points are one of three components to be considered in the selection of Challenge finalists once the Challenge is completed on October 30. Challenge participants will be invited to apply for the finals with applications due November 2, 2017.
- If you are selected as a finalist, your Challenge Period ends on November 20, 2017.
- Finalists must be available to travel Nov. 15 – Nov. 20, 2017.
Additional Links and Information:
- Click here to view different challenge areas: https://projectgreenchallenge.com/challenges/
- FAQs: https://projectgreenchallenge.com/faq/
- Official Rules: https://projectgreenchallenge.com/pgc-2017-official-rules/
- Click here to view a complete list of the prizes and awards: https://projectgreenchallenge.com/prizes/
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register for the competition here: https://projectgreenchallenge.com/login/
If you have any questions, please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Contact Information:
PO Box 1146
Ross, CA 94957
Phone: 415 289-1001
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming