Foundation / Corporation
Society for Classical Studies (SCS)
Awards of $500 to USA and Canada K-12 teachers to recognize outstanding classroom instruction of Greek, Latin, or classics. Nominations are invited on behalf of individuals demonstrating excellent teaching practices. Nominations may be made by an administrator, a colleague, a former student, or any member of the Society of Classical Studies who is familiar with the teacher's work.
Applications should address at least four of the following criteria:
- Success, size, and growth of the classics program in the candidate's school
- Outreach and promotion of the classics
- Innovative and creative classroom activity
- Evidence of improved student learning
- Meeting or exceeding goals in the Classical Language Learning Standards
- Evidence of creating a positive attitude, especially in K-6 students, toward classical languages and Greek or Roman culture
- Student success in contests and competitions
- Movement of significant numbers of students to the next level of study
- Student travel and field trips ranging from study of local architecture to study abroad
- The teacher's professional service and professional development including workshops (both taken and given), papers presented, offices held, awards received, etc.
- The teacher’s ability to engage and effectively teach a diverse student population.
GrantWatch ID#: 181424
Up to two winners will be chosen.
Winners will receive a a cash prize of $500. In addition, each winner’s institution will receive $200 to purchase educational resources selected by the winner.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit nominations to:
SCS Executive Director
Society of Classical Studies
New York University
20 Cooper Square 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10003
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon